A Guide for Wisconsin Nonprofit Organization
To get started as a nonprofit in Wisconsin, you will need your articles of incorporation and $50 in initial fees. To file your articles of incorporation, be sure to have the following ready:
- Three directors for your board, at minimum.
- An individual or corporation that acts as your registered agent and agrees to accept legal documents in the event your nonprofit corporation is sued. They must have a non-P.O. box address in Wisconsin.
- Your corporation’s name and address for its registered office in Wisconsin, as well as for its registered agent.
- Your incorporator’s name and address.
- State-compliant bylaws that have been approved at an organizational meeting with your board of directors.
- A federal employer identification number (EIN).
Wisconsin Nonprofit 501(c)(3) Filing Requirements
To obtain tax exempt status for your Wisconsin nonprofit, you must complete and file IRS Form 1023, and include the following information on your articles of incorporation:
- A statement reading, “This Corporation shall be a nonprofit corporation.”
- A second statement that the corporation will not have any capital stock.
- A statement of purpose that meets IRS requirements.
- Additional statements that show your corporation will not engage in activities unrelated to its exempt purposes or in prohibited political or legislative activity.
- A dissolution provision that shows proper asset distribution to another 501(c)(3) organization or the government upon dissolution.
All Wisconsin nonprofits are required to file an annual report with the State due on the last day of the quarter in which the organization was originally incorporated, and pay a $10 fee. If you could use a guide for Wisconsin nonprofit organizations or aren’t sure how to start your nonprofit in Wisconsin, contact us today.
Let BryteBridge Nonprofit Solutions Do Your Heavy Lifting
Partnering with BryteBridge Nonprofit Solutions allows you to focus on the heart of your philanthropic causes and initiatives, letting us do the heavy lifting for you to help you start, grow, and maintain your nonprofit. Learn more about our nonprofit startup solutions today and get in touch with us to get started.