Minnesota Nonprofit Requirements
If you’re a nonprofit director or manager looking for help with your Minnesota nonprofit, you do not have to do it alone. Our team at BryteBridge Nonprofit Solutions can help you prepare everything you need to register and consistently renew with your state, or help you apply for exemptions if applicable. All states do require you to apply for tax exempt status with the IRS to obtain your 501c3 status. If you need assistance starting or maintaining your Minnesota 501c3 or other nonprofit designation in MN, please review the below documentation and resources.
Minnesota State Registration Documents
Articles of Incorporation
Business Entity Search
Average Processing Time
7-10 Business Days Online
Charity Registration Search
990 EZ Requirement?
Annually, by December 31
State Income Tax
Sales Tax Exemption
Must file – $0
All organizations (except those classified as churches) are required to file an annual 990 form (990N, 990EZ, 990 or 990PF) to be exempt from Income Tax.
The 990 return is due on the 15th day of the 5th month after the end of the organization’s fiscal year.
Failure to file for 3 consecutive years could cause your organization lose tax-exempt status.
How to Start a Nonprofit in Minnesota
To get started with your nonprofit corporation in Minnesota, you’ll need your articles of incorporation and $115 in initial fees. In order to file your articles of incorporation, you will need the following:
- At least three directors who are over the age of 18 and considered individual persons, not corporations
- A registered agent (individual or corporation) that agrees to accept documents on the corporation’s behalf in the event of a lawsuit, with a non-P.O. box address in Minnesota.
- A name and street address for your nonprofit corporation’s registered office in Minnesota and its registered agent.
- The name and mailing address of your incorporator.
- Bylaws that are in compliance with state laws, as approved by your board of directors in an organizational meeting.
- A federal employer identification number (EIN).
Obtaining Your 501(c)(3) Status in Minnesota
One key step in setting up your Minnesota nonprofit is to complete and file your IRS Form 1023, and be sure to include the following information on your articles of incorporation:
- A written statement that says, “This Corporation shall be a nonprofit corporation.”
- Another statement indicates that the corporation will not any capital stock.
- A statement of purpose that meets IRS requirements.
- Statements that the corporation will not engage in unrelated activities in regards to its exempt status and that your nonprofit will not engage in prohibited political or legislative activity.
- A dissolution provision detailing distribution of your organization’s assets in the event of you dissolving your corporation, wherein you designated another 501(c)(3) as the recipient of said assets.
All Minnesota nonprofits with 501(c)(3) status must file an annual report with the State due on December 31. If you have questions about how to start a nonprofit in Minnesota, contact us today.
Pursue Your Nonprofit Initiatives Effectively When You Work with BryteBridge Nonprofit Solutions
When you partner with BryteBridge Nonprofit Solutions, running your Minnesota nonprofit is easier, as we help you with all of the above state compliance requirements, nonprofit growth strategy, and more. We’ll walk you through all of the regulatory hoops so that you can focus on the core of your initiatives: helping your communities and your cause. Call our team of nonprofit experts today to get started!